To be successful in your business or venture, you have to cover all of the offer’s bases. That includes analyzing the impact of your brand or image, the strategies of the competition as well as the requirements of the public – reflected in the media.
For this reason today I will tell you everything you need to know to carry out a news monitoring strategy.
But first, let’s define the main goals…
What elements can be managed with a news monitoring plan?
Whether you just started your initiative are looking to establish in the media, we can reduce the top functionalities in two main perspectives:
- Control: The reputation of your brand is built on opinions and trust; Therefore, the purpose of a news monitoring strategy should be to track the positive effects of your messages in the public as well as every major attack like negative press or backlash.
- Offer optimization: Any offer that boasts of being one, is deemed to the expectations. There are intricacies regarding the quality of the product (e.g. packaging) or service (eg. the reason behind the bounce rate) which you’ll be able to identify through the interpretation of metrics, comments, and reviews.
Depending on the result of your immediate assessments you will get more clarity to define the path you want to take with the exercise.
- Possible scenarios may include:
- Require local or international approach.
- Strengthen current campaigns.
- Boost social media interaction.
- Identify online influencers and allies.
- Associate with the press or other communication channels.
According to Forbes, the purpose will be to compile a list of keywords, people, places and press notes as well as products that correlate with your organization.
Once the information you are interested in collecting has been organized, it is time to have a monitoring and segmentation tool system.
The reason is that, in this way, you will simplify the tasks in addition to obtaining detailed reports for greater data assimilation.
How do the news monitoring tools work?
Although each analysis software has particular characteristics and benefits, there are a few limitations. That’s why you must use various and create a balance in:
- Time: Most monitoring tools have specific intervals in which they can capture content. Do you need the data from this month, the past 6 months or the whole year?
- Channels: How do you want to connect with your audience? Define the platforms on which you have (or want) continuous social media campaigns to work on.
- Anticipation: It is common to have goals related to specific events or periods. For a long-term plan, extract only the formation that will bring you closer to it.
That said, here are the 3 main categories for news monitoring and my favorite tools to use:
For press monitoring
- Xpectus. It holds classification algorithms and the possibility to qualify deceptive content to take watch out from Fake News. Also, you’ll be able to manage and analyze stakeholders.
Digital Property Monitoring
- Sysomos. The tool has several social media listening functions, a platform for discovering influencers as well as measuring digital behavior.
- Buzzsumo. Provides data on ideal days of publishing content, frequency and monthly statistics over time.
What other data will you get from news monitoring?
- Identification: Determine demographic data about your audience, such as the age group in the followers of different social platforms as well as their interests and location.
- Coverage: Set out qualified terms concerning the relevant keywords for your company, competitors, leadership level, perception of your management, products, campaigns, and events.
- Location: Research the company’s mindshare returns to find out which channels your competitors are in, as well as their level of power, and extract reports to improve future strategies.
- Reports: Use instant alerts to track and evaluate the positive, neutral and negative performance of your content plan.
- Distribution: Introduce your brand to influencers and portals; also measure the level of attention and interaction received. This way you can add it to future narrative distribution strategies.
It should be noted that these features are also applicable for proposals that haven’t yet been launched.
If you take into account what we have tackled in today’s article to create a personalized strategy that responds to your needs, it will improve the projection of your messages and control the conversations surrounding your brand.
For more information, don’t forget to check out the rest of our posts.